Writers -- Professor John Fischle and Bobbe Brooks-Fischle

Jun 24, 2014

Examples of the Remarkable

He entered my office asking for food.
Shabbily dressed with only a few teeth,  his smile was captivating, his eyes sparkled and as we conversed, 
I was startled.

His vocabulary was laced with intelligence and his knowledge amazing.
 I was stunned by the brilliance of the toothless man who at one point referred to himself as "a scientist"; 
but who looked like a homeless wanderer.
      I remarked about his vocabulary 
and he chuckled. "I'm an avid reader."
     With interest piqued I said, "What do you read?"
 Obviously delighted that someone was interested he replied, "The philosophers" and named a few.
Then "the psychologists" and named a few of those.
I was stunned!
The man speaking should've been dressed in an expensive three-piece suit sipping a strong brew at Starbucks 
Or dining at the Ritz-Carlton, 
rather than a shabby looking hobo.

 That "Diamond in the Rough" was truly a remarkable man--I shall never forget.

Another unforgettable person died recently--Maya Angelou.

She used her gifts to the max and made this world
A better place.
Therefore her words live on--
As an example of the remarkable.

slide_351296_3788908_free

She wrote:
"Love is that condition in the human spirit so profound 
that it allows me to survive, 
and better than that, 
to thrive with passion, compassion, and style."

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."
      "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
      "Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."
      "Love recognizes no barriers.
It jumps hurdles, leaps fences,
 penetrates walls to arrive at its destination filled with hope."


 
      "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
"When I found... that I was a child of God, when I understood that,
when I comprehended that...when I internalized that, ingested that, I became courageous."

Yes Maya Angelou was uniquely remarkable--
As was the toothless man.
He was truly a Diamond-in-the-Rough and
Both were remarkable.


And that's my goal:
Touching,
Loving and
Making this world a better place
One person at a time.
Where have you seen examples of the Remarkable?