Writers -- Professor John Fischle and Bobbe Brooks-Fischle

Oct 20, 2019

HOW TO LIVE THE UNFORGETTABLE LIFE



Photo by Barry Polansky
He entered my office asking for food. Shabbily dressed with only a few teeth, his smile was captivating, his eyes sparkled and as we began to converse, I was startled.

I was a crisis counselor and he was a client, but he wasn't like the typical client asking for help. His vocabulary was laced with intelligence and his knowledge amazing. I was stunned by the brilliance of the toothless man who at one point referred to himself as "a scientist," but instead looked as if he'd crawled out from beneath a bridge and had eaten his last meal from a dumpster.

I remarked about his vocabulary and with delight he chuckled, "I'm an avid reader."

With interest piqued I said, "What do you read?"

Obviously glad to have someone interested he replied, "The philosophers" and named a few. Then "the psychologists" and named a few of those. I was stunned!

The man I was hearing should've been dressed in an expensive three-piece suit, sipping a strong brew at Starbucks or dining at the Ritz-Carlton, rather than a shabby looking hobo. That "Diamond in the Rough" was truly a remarkable man---and although I can't remember his name, I will never forget him. His face will ever be etched in my memory. (The photo above is only a semblance of who he was).


Maya Angelou
 Another unforgettable person died May 28, 2014---Maya Angelou---and because she was such an impressive person, her words live on. Through her writings we can learn how to impact this world, make it a better place and as she passionately did, reveal the love of the invisible God.

 Here are just a few of the rich nuggets written by this unforgettable lady:

    "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

    "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."

    "Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."

    "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination filled with hope."

    "I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it."

    "When I found...that I was a child of God, when I understood that, when I comprehended that...when I internalized that...I became courageous."

    "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive."   ---Maya Angelou


Thanks to the Toothless Man, who was a startling surprise, and to the elegant Maya Angelou, both were examples of remarkable people with depth and a zest for life. Each was so impressive, that whoever met them or heard their words could never forget, because they were influencers.
--Bobbe Brooks